Author: Perspective Ministries
Category: Seasonal WidowLife Wisdom
Even though summer looks different this year, you can still make a difference in the life of a fatherless child. When God tells us to visit the widow and fatherless, he asks that we do more than knock on the door to check off a box. When a child is without an earthly dad, they are left in the presence of God. The way in which God “fathers” is often through others.
Visiting the fatherless means to come alongside, care about and for them. Your care of the fatherless puts the Gospel on display to the world. And rest assured, the difference will not only impact the child, but your life as well.
8 Practical ways make a difference for the fatherless this summer:
- Include them in your summer fun. Plan a day at the park or trip to the beach. Inviting fatherless children on a family vacation offers a break from the routine and a glimpse into life with two parents.
- Provide for their family vacation. While time away is a necessity, it is often an unaffordable luxury in the budget of a single mom. Several families could join to provide for this memorable experience for a single mom and her children.
- Send them to camp. Many testify to the life-changing benefits of camp. Even though social distancing has changed the camp dynamic this year, many camps are in session (Woodlands Camp and EQUIP Boot Camp | Precept).
- Help them get ahead. Pay for summer school or personal tutoring to boost the confidence of a struggling student.
- Be intentional about engaging with them. Don’t let this one intimidate you. It’s as easy as this, if you take your son fishing, invite a fatherless boy. When you pamper your daughter, consider including her fatherless friend.
- Teach them a skill. How to cut the grass or change a tire.
- Help establish a network of support. Find men who will take time to mentor, a Sunday School class who will sponsor their extra-curricular activities, or prayer warriors.
- Tell them your story of God’s faithfulness.
SIGN UP FOR PERSPECTIVE MINISTRIES EMAIL UPDATES
Get practical messages for widows, volunteers, and church leaders sent directly to your inbox!